Are you looking to create a high standard of communication? Follow these five steps:
- Identify your audience. Are they internal or external? This will inform step 2.
- Cater your communication to your audience. When communicating internally it’s safe to assume that technical terms or acronyms will be understood. An external audience on the other hand is looking for jargon-free language.
- Think about how your audience will see your communication. Short paragraphs allow an online reader to scan quickly. An email might be read on a phone, in which case too much text will be overwhelming.
- Short words and phrases convey information clearly and concisely.
- Grammar and spelling matter. Check everything (‘not’ and ‘now’ will always pass the spell check and can render very different meanings). Verify dates. Spell names correctly.
For more advice, get in touch.